Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Them's the breaks - Aidan Walsh


Mr AEL!

The latest story to roll off the Lishman production line has come from two different people. But, I'll save Marti n Salisbury's message until later. For now you'll have to make do with a Courtney Walsh-style delivery from none other than his brother Aidan.

Alan and Belinda,

I've never been one for long stories, just short witticisms, one liners and in this particular instance pacy cricket deliveries. Which leads me to my favourite Lishman story. It was a warm summer's day in Leyland and I was playing for Lancashire Under-19s at the time with a certain Andrew Flintoff. I guess I was a pretty quick bowler and thought it might be fun for Pete, Alan and Martin to play a few shots while I got ready for my trial to play for the full Lancashire team which was coming up. Now I'd presumed that these boys had played a bit before and while Lishman was warming up his seemed to be playing a few nice little strokes - allbe it without a ball in sight.

Sadly, for Alan, his bark wasn't quite as good as his bite and - after telling him to not bother padding up properly save the crown jewels box which we all should wear when we play a bit of cricket, I steamed in and delivered arguably the best ball I've ever bowled in my life. Lishman seemed to move in slow motion, eyes bulging as this red dot blurred towards him. Suddenly there was this loud crack as ball hit bone and the next thing I remember poor Alan was writhing in agony on the floor amid a flurry of loud expletives with Pete and Martin colsoling him. An hour later the industrial language had ceased but Pete was forced to drive home in the mighty studmobile.

Sorry about that mate. Anyway, good luck for the future Alan and Belinda. Alan, after a couple of years of marriage you may have cause to use your right hand more than at the present and - if this is true - I hope that it has recovered sufficiently from when I broke it all those years ago playing cricket.

All the best mate from Aidan and Helen. Let's do beers next time you're back in Prestonia.

Top story from Aidan there. There're plenty more filling up my inbox.

No comments:

Post a Comment