Monday, February 15, 2010

When Peter met Alan


Well Mr (Eng)Lishman,

We've heard from people past and present in your life and I thought perhaps now it was my turn to say a few words about my first memories of you.

We've been best mates since the tender age of 11 and a half and we've been through a lot together in our short lives (hell- we're only in our early 30s - us old - never). I have great early memories of the first day I met you. I remember Miss Slater and Mrs Heald who were our form tutors back then in 1843 introducing this blonde lad, a tad reminiscent of both Brad Pitt and the milky bar kid (but obviously far better looking than both) who'd spent half his life in Turkey and then dumping him on our table next to Craig Swinglehurst, Mark Bass, Craig McDonnell and myself in the far corner of the science lab with the gas taps etc....

Even that day I remember hitting it off with you despite your allegiances to Manchester United (but crucuially with a soft spot for the mighty PNE. You were a tad on the shy side at that time and I think so was I but we found we had one major thing in common as well as football - and that was this insane and very natural ability from within to talk utter goballdigook. Whether we were talking in Geordie accents about Peter Beardsley with taxi drivers or singing songs about Curtley Ambrose and Courtney Walsh to the sound of the kettle drum, we were and still are two of life's great escapists. If there was a GCSE called Bolloxology we'd have invented the A+ long before it kicked in. We spent countless nights kipping at each others houses playing Championship Manager with you winning the Premier League and European Cup with Chic Bates as your assitant and the mighty Ade Akinbiyi up front. We played football in my back garden for hours on end discussing our (lack of) sex lives or at least who we wanted to or had snogged from Kelly 'the Wilderbeast' Thornton and Julie Holderness to Teresa from the Guild Tavern and Debbie Connell from Newman College. We wrote bizarre postcards and letters to one another from various European locations which your dad always enjoyed and even had our first official pint in a pub together at the infamous North Star. Deepdale was also one of our regularly haunts with Les Chapman providing the early entertainment along with Lee Ashcroft (remember his sister) and those reserve games when we'd collect the autographs offthe likes of David Flitcroftino and David Christiealdo. Great days indeed......

We've had some great times bro and living so far away from you has made me realise what an incredible friend I have had over the years. I have had other good friends but nobody has ever filled nor will ever fill the Lishman role. I can talk about anything with you and there probably isn't another person on this earth who understands me the way you do. You're one in a million and I'll be a very proud man as I stand by you and hand over that ring so we can make a man out of you before you have all your baby Lishshannonlets.

Thanks for being there for me bro - I hope we'll be living closer one day so I can see more of you. But Belinda is getting one helluva husband,

Big brotherly love geeeeeeeeezer!

Your bezzie mate xx

No comments:

Post a Comment